Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My worst nightmare (I am probably over-reacting)


Today, I began a lesson about copyright, public domain and fair use. It was going well until I told them to open up Flickr's copyright symbols page. Instead, being students and the temptation of searching for me is way too hard to pass up, one of them typed in my name.

One of my students, raises his hand (smart, I thought he was going to make a comment about copyright) and goes, "Ms. Martino, are you Miss Martini?"

My eyes popped out of my head!!!

And low and behold, there I was! But it was actually a picture from my friends' pages.

Then came the bombardment of questions and the accusation that I'm a liar because my profile says I lived in another city. I mean, it was all in good fun and they are just curious but oy. I knew this would happen. Thank goodness for the privacy settings.

I am not sure how I am feeling. I think, it's because I'm a little more human now. Do you remember when you were in school and teachers always seemed not from this planet? I mean, I never knew where the teachers' lounge was or if they had lives outside of school. Now, if you have an online presence, well, you have some of your life just out there in the open and people do not seem as inaccessible as they once were.

I am not sure what will happen now. It will be interesting I guess. They will probably find this blog as well. Well, all I can say is, "Welcome."

No comments: