Tuesday, April 8, 2008

SWPL poses the question: Would you date someone who is not well-read?


Photo posted by uncphilosophy.

I was reading SWPL and they posted a link to Rachel Donadio's article, "It's Not You, It's your Books" from the NYT. Would you date someone who was not as well read as you?

I thought about it and honestly, I am pretty turned off when people proclaim, "I DON'T READ!!!" like it's a good thing. It's not. Read something. Read the paper, read a frickin blog, read the dictionary so you don't use words like "boughten."

I do not know how many times I have heard people use words that they completely make-up - like the current president of the U.S. (if you don't believe me read the Bushisms on Slate). And you know, he's pretty proud that he doesn't read.

Do I want a guy who has read all the "classics"? Not really. I mean, I have not read all the classics, who has time with the amount of interesting reading out there. Hello, I just read my first Jane Austin book and I'm in my *cough* thirties. But please, just pick up a book or magazine or read something online.

No comments: