Friday, December 4, 2009

Book Drops: Graphic Novel(s) Friday







I am going to attempt again to put some order to my entries...wish me luck!

Anyway, since, I am the de facto graphic novel "expert" (har har) here at the library, I thought I should starting writing little blurbs here so that I remember what I read and why I like them...

Knucklehead by Jon Scieszka. - Opps. This is not really a graphic novel...But I'll just say that it is a hilarious collection of stories about Jon Scieszka's life. Who is this guy? Well, Jon Scieszka is a writer a lot of hilarious children's books, like the recently published Robot Zot and The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Fairy Tales. Knucklehead is a collection of stories from his childhood that had me laughing out loud in my tiny studio. Highly enjoyable!
Stitches by David Small. David Small is a writer and illustrator who won the Caldecott Medal in 2001 for So, You want to be President. Stitches is mentioned a lot on various book review publications and I thought I would give it a go. An honest and intense memoir of Small's childhood in Detroit. (a side note: it's kind of random that both Scieszka and Small are from Michigan) The illustrations are dark and brooding and convey the unhappiness of his youth. His mother had secrets, his father never talked, his grandmother had mental health issues. It ends on hope and is definitely worthy of any graphic novel collection.
French Milk by Lucy Knisley. For some reason, we have this under "Fiction," however, it is not a fiction book. It's actually a travelogue of the month when Lucy Knisley and her mother went to live in a Paris apartment for a month. It's a wonderful journal about her time in Paris, her obsession with French milk and also Oscar Wilde. It's funny, sad, and sweet. Great read and also made me want to live and eat my way through France. Here's a little animation video she made:


No comments: