Monday, February 15, 2010

Bring Back Home Ec Class!!!



On Friday, I watched Jamie Oliver's speech for TED about teaching children about food and how to cook. Then this morning, I was looking through my King Arthur flour catalog and noticed that they have a "baking bread" program where they go to public schools and teach kids how to bake and cook. I also have taking a class at Home Ec shop and started sewing again and starting thinking about my junior high home ec class and how a great life skills class that was.

I think, they need to bring that back. That was the first place I sewed a pair of shorts. The first place I learned how to make a savory bread pudding that I made for my dad, mom and siblings the second I went home. I felt accomplished and now, I know how to mix ingredients to bake and cook.

Kids need life skills classes because they are no longer getting that...something is happening and those skills are not being passed on.

I joked about teaching a home ec course with my coworker during the summer. I might have to recommend that...

1 comment:

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

I saw this as well, and really enjoyed it. He's got such passion, and I love his approach. Wasn't the time with the children showing them vegetables amazing? thanks for putting it on your blog - very important - food for thought!!!

PS: thanks so much for your kind words about my blog. It means a lot to me. Hope you're having a great week!