Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Graphic Novels on the Rise

Look! Up in the sky! It’s a prose author moving a ton of graphic novels!

A World of Words Reinvented in Pictures

blog it

This is the 3rd time I'm writing this because my clipmarks was not working for me until now...

It is pretty exciting reading about the rise of the graphic novel. I saw this article in the NYT's this morning about the trend of reinventing popular fiction to graphic novels. They mentioned that Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series and Janet Evanovich's Motor Mouth series are being released as graphic novels.

I was pretty amazed by the statistic as well. Apparently, graphic novels usually have a 20,000 to 25,000 copy run but now, with these popular fiction based GN's, they are running 100,000 or more!!!

Now, I wonder, what this rise is due to: is it the movies? or just a general resurgence in the form? The natural ebb & flow of things. or is it the fact that the publishing companies need to find another form to make money from? Probably a mix of all these things and more. I do love graphic novels but does everything need to be in this format? I mean, we have the Gettysburg Address and the Constitution in GN. Is that necessary? I suppose you can reach a different readership this way but what happened to using your imagination?

That said..this is definitely exciting times for the graphic novels and comics!! HURRAY!!!!

No comments: