Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday Reading Wrap-Up

Time is flying. I don't even remember the last time I posted about any of the books I've read so here is a little round up.

Audiobooks on my very short commute.
  • Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Played With Fire read by Simon Vance. I am really enjoying listening to Simon Vance narrating this story. He's an excellent reader. At one point, when Lisbeth Salander ends up at the farm house I was in so much suspense and nervous as to what was going to happen, I was visibly freaking out in my car. I can only image what people who were at stoplights watching me were thinking. So good!!!
  • Howard Zinn - A People's History of the United States - I just get so angry but you know, our country just repeats the same b.s. over and over again. Ok, I am really being incredible superficial and not explaining my self or the book but honestly, it just made pissed off at the government and also the people of this country. Worth listening to and/or reading. The first part is read by Matt Damon and then the 2nd half is Howard Zinn.
  • Currently listening to: Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. I had to take a break from nonfiction and also finish the trilogy. Today, my coworker decided it was out a great idea to talk to me while I was sitting in my car eating lunch and listening to it. UGH!
  • Next on the list : Daniel Okrent Last Call: The rise and fall of prohibition - I picked it up at the end of the year when I was shopping for the teacher/staff lending library. I think, I might have the same reaction that I had with Howard Zinn's. My friend was telling me that the parallels between what happened during that time is happening now. Great. I mean, I know, it's good that I'm angry but this cannot be good for my stress levels.

On the Nook:

I've been testing out the Nook for the library which I've decided is kind of pointless. I mean, it's not like I have another Nook to share books with. You need at least 4 to see if it would even matter which is a lot of money to spend to test something. I do like it better than the Kindle so far. I like the Lending option. I like that it's a format that isn't proprietary. And it seems to be thinking about libraries. But you know, after that ebook virtual conference a couple of weeks ago, we really do need someone who works and understands libraries to be building these tools for us.

  • Jonathan Franzen - Freedom - depressing but I thought it was a pretty amazing read. Don't sure if I can label him the Literary Genius of our time but I did enjoy it and didn't want to put it down.
  • John Valliant - The Tiger: a true story of vengeance and survival - You know, I have no concept of what a tiger's personality would be like but they are incredibly magnificent mysterious creatures. This book is certainly putting them in a new light as well as educating me about Russian and Chinese relations in regards to poaching and territories as well as Russian and indigenous . I am just about finished with it - 40 more pages.
  • Next Up: I think I'll order Nurture Shock by Po Bronson.

Print:

  • The Warriors by Erin Hunter. I don't know. I don't really understand why it's popular. I'm having trouble just getting into the story. And I read pretty much every thing.

Also, I'm trying some manga reads since there is a new club that I'm a sponsor of. I guess I should read Bleach or something...

No comments: