Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book Drops: Matched by Ally Condie

Matched by Ally Condie. New York: Dutton Children's, 2010. ISBN: 978-0525423645

Why I Picked It Up: I mentioned on Friday, that I read an interview in SLJ with Ally Condie. This book already received some notice so I asked Max to pick it up. I love the cover and it sounded like it would be a good bit of scifi/romance and I tend to enjoy those books.

Why I Didn't Put It Down: Matched is another dystopian novel. Similar to Hunger Games and The Uglies. Society appears so perfect. You don't even have to worry about finding the perfect mate because it's done for you. You don't even have to worry about dying..because when it's your time and you have lived the optimal amount of years, well, "they" let you rest. Everything is wonderful and there are even pills created to help you live your life. How could anything go wrong in a world where everything is decided for you?
That's when it happens. The once in a blue moon event where the match the government choose for you is a mistake. The mistake leaves you wondering and if you are anything like Cassia, you will not let it go. There are two faces on the microchip they give you. Both faces you know, one is Xander, the perfect boy and Cassia's best friend, the other is Ky, a bit of an outsider but he also is in your circle of friends. What do you do now? In order to find out, you need to read the book.

Who Would I Recommend This To: All of the kids who loved Hunger Games. However, I do have to preface this by saying that Matched does not have as much action as Hunger Games did. It is more of a science fiction romance and more on the romance side of things. I enjoyed it and there were some interesting twists. I definitely am looking forward to the second book.

No comments: