Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Drops: "Three Black Swans" by Caroline B. Cooney

Cooney, Caroline B. Three Black Swans. New York: Delacorte Press, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-385-73867-5.
Why Did I Pick This Up: I really like the cover and also was intrigued by the Wall Street Journal quote at the beginning of the book.
But the future isn't a hat full of little shredded pieces of the past.
It is, instead, a whirlpool of uncertainty populated by what the
trader and philosopher Nassim Nicholas Taleb calls "black swans"
---events that are hugely important, rare and unpredictabl, and
explicable only after the fact.
Why I Didn't Put It Down: If I had to rate this book, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. It was an interesting tale of 3 lost sisters, who happen to be identical triplets but it took a while to get started and then the story of the biological parents was too quickly dealt with. I liked reading about the 3 separate lives but it was strange that 2 of the sisters ended up being cousins. It also just ended too perfect for my tastes. Also, I think, with that strong quote at the beginning, it was a lot to try to portray in this book. The events were not so profound or that spectacular. 2 of the girls are cousins and 1 is from a "rich" family. I really was interested in the premise but the portrayal was just not as strong as it could be.
Who Would I Recommend This To: I would not put this on my list. Though, I know there are some girls who would enjoy this quick read.

No comments: