Monday, June 6, 2011

Books are Evil! Don't Read Them!!!

I have been busy with the end of the school year and am now reading all of these articles. Here is the thread of articles I've been reading so far...

  1. WSJ "Darkness To Visible" by Meghan Cox Gurdon - it started it all. I completely disagree with her and I wonder what YA books she's actually really sat down and read. There, I said it! I mean, not all YA books are violent. My favorite book is 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson, which is actually happy and positive. The sequel is coming out or just came out too! No suicide, no vampires, no self mutilation. But I guess, Ms. Gurdon didn't go looking for THOSE kinds of books.
  2. SLJ Blog response "There's Dark Things In Them There Books! - great links and says what I think..pretty much
  3. Libba Bray's response on Twitter as posted by WSJ 
  4. Teens responding on the Figment forum
  5. Search #YAsaves on Twitter 
  6. Josie Levitt on PW - Young Adult Fiction Not All Doom and Gloom 
If you have more helpful links..feel free to comment or post..Thanks!

Also, I really didn't appreciate her tone about the challenged books...If they take away all those "bad books" I would never have read Harry Potter..and MILLIONS of kids would not have read them either and developed a love for reading.

No comments: