Thursday, November 10, 2011

New York Memories. Cecil Castellucci's Rose Sees Red

Lisa Gauyan : dancer jumps and poses amo by tibchris, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  tibchris 

Last night I read Cecil Castellucci's book, Rose Sees Red. It is a heart-warming, coming of age story set in 1980s New York City. Rose is in a dark place and cannot seem to get out of it. She's lost her best friend, she does not know who she is, and she basically built walls around her self to prevent her from getting close to anyone. Yrena is the girl who lives next door in a Russian apartment building that is under surveillance from the KGB and the CIA. Rose's room is directly across from Yrena so she knows that she is a dancer but that is about it. They have spent most of the time barely acknowledging each other, until one night, Yrena shows up at Rose's bedroom window. After that, everything changes...

Rose and Yrena spend the night exploring New York City. They get to know the city as well as each other.

It is a really wonderful story and reminds me of the one time I went to New York City. I wonder if I have already shared this story? I will share it again. I had less than 24 hours in NYC and I had gone with an ex-boyfriend and his family. Our mutual friend, Shanan, lived there so we went to visit him. What would you do in a city you only had less than 24 hours in? I wanted to explore. The ex spent the afternoon hanging out at his friends' apartment. Shanan and I took off and he set about showing me amazing spots in the city. It is actually one of my favorite memories. Sitting in front of a Miro at the MOMA, taking a bus to look at the empire state building obscured by clouds, racing through the windows in Grand Central Station, and sitting in a smokey jazz club listening to a John Coltrane tribute. I had not thought about that in awhile but this book reminded me of that day.

Definitely read it. It will make you want to go on an adventure with your friends :)

No comments: