Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year


Happy New Year! Tomorrow we head back to work. I tried to get as much reading down this winter break but did not really succeed. I spent a week with my family in San Diego and then spent a week back in Los Angeles. It was nice being in LA when everyone else is gone. I actually find it really relaxing. 

So, here is the list of what I read over break:
The Swerve by Stephen J. Greenblatt. There is a review in the New York Times that made me interested in picking this up. I thought it wasn't inaccessible and made the story of Poggio's search and discovery of Lucretius' On The Nature of Things was really fascinating. I have never read anything by Greenblatt but he also writes a lot about Shakespeare so I think I will check those out in the future.

Rotters by Daniel Kraus. This might be one of my favorite reads for 2011. I am not sure why I am reading so much horror lately since I don't like scary movies or things like that, but I could not put this book down. It is dark, sad, exciting, mysterious and just really a fun twisted tale. The protagonists are grave robbers. I think, after all the dystopian, vampire, werewolf and spy books, it was really really refreshing to pick up a book about grave robbers! There is even some interesting facts about those "resurrection" men and their history. I highly recommend reading this one if you haven't already.

I also attempted to read Colin Meloy's Wildwood but I am just having a hard time getting into it. I also tried another book but again, it's not really grabbing me at all. 

No comments: