Sunday, April 1, 2012

I have been reading about the racist tweets that have been posted about the characters, Rue and Thresh, of the Hunger Games. I hate to admit this, but I am not shocked by the racist vitriolic nature of these tweets. It is like this country has been going downhill ever since President Obama became the President but that's for a whole other post.

I am thinking about this more today because of this Book Bench post : White Until Proven Black : Imagining Race in Hunger Games.  It reminded me of a conversation I had with my coworker. I love her to death but sometimes, she says things, and I have to think, "For real? Did you just say that to me? You know, I'm one of them, right?"

So, we were discussing the casting of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. I like Jennifer Lawrence, she was amazing in "Winter's Bone." But I did not picture her as Katniss. I pictured someone mixed or Latina. I remember mentioning this to my co-worker and she goes, "Really? But you know, I picture someone like me when I read."

What bothered me about it was that it was so final. Like there was no other possiblity that she could not be another ethnicity.

Anyway, it is worth it reading that New Yorker article.

No comments: