Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Inspiration from Cool Cat Teacher

Cool Cat Teacher posted a great list of things to remember as teachers begin the start of the new school year. There are lots of things going on in the world, in our lives, & it is great to just read a little reminder to keep things in perspective.

Things I need to remember this year:

  • keep a positive outlook (though my ranting this morning was funny and will have to be put in check)
  • remain flexible (you never know what each day will bring - and it's a-okay to call you friends and have them drive with you to Alhambra for the best ice cream in L.A. because you had a menace in the classroom and felt like you made the worst decision of your life)
  • Some days you will regret your decision to be a teacher, most days it will be rewarding and you will be amazed & inspired
  • smile
  • remember that you have a life outside of the classroom
  • make time for your friends & family
  • read at least one grown-up people's book a month (this is difficult being a YA librarian but not impossible)
  • plan ahead
  • don't be too hard on yourself (there's another batch of kids!!!) I kid. I kid!
I tend to get very overwhelmed with everything that needs to happen & go on during the year. I will have to revisit this post to remind myself to lighten up and enjoy the year.

No comments: