Friday, December 18, 2009

Book Drops: Graphic Novel Fridays






I am a little late in writing this post because it is the last day before winter break and there are a ton of things to finish up before leaving the library for 2 weeks.

1) need to put the plants in plastic tubs filled with water so they won't die. I used to take them home but that is just too much work.

2) the Library Queen ordered lunch in so you know, i had to be sociable and partake..I just HAD too!

3) there are a lot more cookies and treats that i need to eat so ..yeah, I had to partake in that as well

4) Oh, I also had to drive off campus and pick up the lunch that i had to eat

5) there are books that need to be covered, shelved, and read...

6) I also had to wipe down all counters and surfaces because the kids are super snotty and I AM NOT getting sick before I leave for vacation.

7) Sent 2 of my friends home because 1 was sick and the other is so stubborn he'll stay here and suffer and bleed all over the place before going home...

so here I go:
This week I am featuring Hansel and Gretel: the graphic novel retold by Donald Lemke and Sticks and Stones by Peter Kruper.

I have not read Hansel and Gretel since elementary school so it was great rereading this classic fairy tale. The illustrations are very gothic and from the cover you can tell that the characters have very giant eyes like Margaret Keane paintings but also a bit like some of the characters in Miyazaki's Spirited Away. It was a great retelling and the library binding edition contains a book discussion questions, writing prompts and also a page for an internet site to visit. I am not sure if a little kid would particularly enjoy this version because the images are so dark and it is a frightening tale but it would be fun to use as a read-aloud book.

Book 2 was Sticks and Stones. Peter Kruper is also a political cartoonist some of his works appears in Time and also the Nation. This graphic novel contains absolutely no words but words were not necessary to convey the story. There is commentary on the affects of industry, war, rebellion, power, greed, etc. It was very powerful. There are mixed reviews on this work but I found it very thought provoking and I loved Kruper's illustrations.

No comments: