Friday, December 11, 2009

Book Drops: Graphic Novels Friday


Right now, I'm waiting in excitement for my family to visit. I don't really know why I'm so excited but I am. Also, I'm baking another batch of chocolate chocolate chip cookies and I have some Asian short ribs cooking in a slow cooker and I have to get my Graphic Novel Friday post in. So..here I go (by the way, the cookie I'm eating is the bomb!):

1. No Girls Allowed: Tales of Daring Women Dressed as Men for Love, Freedom and Adventure. Written by Susan Hughes and illustrated by Willow Dawson. The illustrations in this book are not the type that usually wows me but she did really well in conveying the stories that Hughes wrote about. The women featured are Hatshepsut, Mu Lan, Alfhild, Esther Brandeau, James Barry, Ellen Craft and Sarah Rosetta Wakeman. Honestly, I have only every heard/read about 2 of these women so it was a really quick introduction to women who did what they needed to to survive. The occupations include a pharaoh, soldiers, pirate, a doctor, a translator and a women who dressed like a man to escape to the Northern United States to be free. Go girls!!!! Do what you need to do to get where you want to go!!!

2. The Good Neighbors Book 1: Kin. By Holly Black and Ted Naifeh. You have a rock star boyfriend, you have the coolest friends but what if all of a sudden you just started seeing things? strange things? strange beings? And your mother just disappeared all of sudden. And your father looks like he's just given up. Some one you don't know is murdered. What would you do? Would you believe what you were seeing? This is what happens to Rue in this dark, gothic fantasy graphic novel. Rue discovers that there is more to her self and her family than she could have ever believed. The story introduces the reader to Rue's other family and they are not a friendly and loving as one would expect. They aren't even human. I can't wait to get Book 2.

No comments: