Friday, January 22, 2010

Graphic Novel Friday: Peter & Max by Bill Willingham

I know, this isn't a graphic novel but it is a spin-off (?) off of Bill Willingham's Fables series, which all my friends rave about and I have yet to read. I know, I'm shunned now! Anyway, I thought, this work, Peter & Max which is amazing, qualifies for GNF since people do know the Fables series and may or may not know that Willingham and Steve Leialoha have "a (F)(a)(b)(l)(e)(s) Novel". Also, you do not need to have any knowledge of (F)(a)(b)(l)(e)(s) to enjoy this book. It's a great "stand-alone" work in the parlance of librarians.

I seem to have a theme going this week with the books I've chosen to read. I recently finished Audrey Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry.

What Caught My Eye: I seem to have a bare branches silhouette thing going this week. Also, the Pied Piper hovering over those branches with the moon shining behind him. It looks magical and eerie. I also liked the typeface. I leafed through the pages and was struck by Leialoha's illustrations as well. What is this scene? What's happening here? Why the raven?

Why I Finished It: Because I couldn't put it down. I am still working on the 2010 Sleep Challenge proposed by Arianna Huffington and I am trying to not stay up nights reading but honestly, I did not want to put this book down and the last couple of nights I just slept with this book by my head because I just didn't want to stop reading. It's full of adventure and incredible worlds, war, music, magic, love, suspense, fear, and practically all emotions that make this one of my favorite reads for this year so far.

Who Would I Recommend This To: Everyone!!! I would read this aloud to young kids, who I know who are not easily frightened. I would share it with my middle schoolers (oh wait! It's part of the school collection). I would pass it on to adults who like fairytales and folklore and also just love a good read.

No comments: