Tuesday, March 9, 2010

CAIS Conference Recap: Session 1

Yesterday was the CAIS (California Association of Independent Schools) held it's 2010 Southern Regional Meeting at Campbell Hall in Studio City. This is the first year I attended the CAIS conference and I hope I get to go again next year! It was so informative and there were so many workshops, it was really difficult to choose which speakers to see. If you work at an independent school. I highly recommend going to this event. Hopefully, you're at a school where they shut down the conference so you can all attend!!!

Session 1 - I attended Maureen Frank's presentation on "Audiobooks in the Library." She's 1 of my counterparts at the other campus and I mentioned Maureen came over last week to talk about the iPods in the library program.

Even though I had a preview of her presentation, I am so glad I went because it was so interesting discussing how audiobooks are a vital part of any school library collection. Also, I had the opportunity to see my friend, Michelle, and meet new librarians and teachers. It is important to take into account the different learning styles of our students - kinesthetic, auditory, visual, etc. - you have to be able to provide services for all these different kinds of learners.

The image that Maureen started the presentation with was of a student listening to an audiobook with this book opened on his lap following along. I believe, he's the student who has received 2 A's on his last 2 assignments!!!

I cannot wait to start this program here at the middle school. Also, if you don't know where to start or are just interested in learning more about this program, just email me - vinyljunkie[at]gmail[dot]com or DM me on twitter and we can exchange email addresses.

No comments: