Thursday, August 5, 2010

Adventures in Sewing - Sew Hip Headband


SEW Hip! Issue 19 - Sew Small Headband
Originally uploaded by Miss Martini (AnnaLynn M.)

I said I would write about reading, crafting and baking here so that's what I'm going to do. Maybe now I can blog regularly here.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and just started this project from Sew Hip Issue 19. It's the sew small headband.

First, I'm sure if you are a seamstress/sewer, you probably already know about Sew Hip Magazine but since I'm fairly new I have to say this is my new favorite magazine. I love that there are so many projects in it and that they also give you a free pattern. I should have picked up last months issue but it is pretty pricey since it's from the UK but oh so worth it!!! Here's a link to their site : http://www.sewhip.co.uk/ You can also get a digital subscription! Which, is just excellent, though I love having a book in front/magazine in front of me.

This is a pretty great project for a beginner. It's cute and you can finish it fairly quickly. The challenges I had were
(1) pulling the elastic taught made me bend my needle
(2) Not sure how the elastic and fabric was supposed to gather. You pull the elastic and then the fabric straightens out and then I'm not sure. At the beginning, the band doesn't look like a band but then I think because I relaxed a bit it finally looks ok. But because I messed up at the beginning, I ended up having too much fabric. But It didn't look too bad to I finished it.
(3) the flower. You are supposed to do a straight stitch to stitch the petals to the fabric. I wasn't sure how to do that with a machine so I just did it by hand which I think might be what you are supposed to do but it didn't say. It worked but I guess, I would have liked more a diagram on that.

So, if you are going to try this project and are a beginner like me, those are some of the things you might want to keep in mind.

Happy Sewing!

No comments: