Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sewing Adventure: Practice practice praIctice


Buttercup Bag
Originally uploaded by Miss Martini (AnnaLynn M.)

I really enjoy making this Buttercup Bag designed by Made by Rae. (http://www.made-by-rae.com/2009/02/free-buttercup-bag-sewing-pattern.html) There are great pleats, curves to sew along, and little details you can add to make it your own.

For this bag, I used fabric I got from The Home Ec Shop (http://www.homeecshop.com/ - they are reopening online next month so check back). I am really into buying fat quarter packs and so I picked up a vintage pack when they closed the brick and mortar shop in Silverlake. It's funny because a couple of the quarters look like bed sheets that my mom used to have. I might have to raid her storage unit to see if she still has them.

The lining is just simple cotton blend I picked up in downtown LA's fashion district at a shop called Mike's Fabrics. It's off the main strip and the woman there is so nice that I had to buy something. 4 dollars for 2 yards of fabric to help a nice lady keep her shop open is something I'm all about.

The buttons and snaps I picked up at Joann Fabrics. I love those coupons!!!

I'm getting more comfortable sewing the pleats. I tried it where you sew the pleats firs then attach the top but it didn't look right so I've been practicing just pinning and holding the pleats as I sew.

I think this one is super cute. I love the fabrics and the buttons. I want to go on a vintage fabric hunt but I don't even know where to start. I feel my old thrift store hunting skills coming out again.

Happy Sewing!

No comments: