Monday, October 18, 2010

Nonfiction Monday: NatGeo : Rare by Joel Sartore

I am going to try to get back to my blogging ways so here is the return of Nonfiction Monday.

What Did I Pick Up: National Geographic Rare: Portraits of America's Endangered Species by Joel Sartore. It is definitely worth checking out his website. He's included some images that are not in the book.

What Caught My Eye: It's a pretty striking cover. Black background with a wolf that looks like it's cowering from someone or something. Plus, I wanted to see some of America's endangered species since I think I have only heard about 3 or 4.

Why I Didn't Put It Down: The images are really amazing and beautiful. Also, the chapters are labeled by how many of each animal or plant exists since last count. It really does make the book even more powerful when you know that only 1,000 of a certain organism is believed to be in existence. Also there is a chapter that is simple a "?". No one know if it is extinct already or if there are any in the wild at all. It made me sad reading it but there is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel with the animals that are slowing rising in numbers in the wild.

Who Would I Recommend This To: Any animal lover and photo enthusiast. It really is a beautiful and sad book that reminds us that we are not the only creatures on this planet and that we have to take care of everyone - plants, animals, each other.

No comments: