Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hurray for another Rick Riordan Adventure!!!


This is the 3rd time I'm writing this post. You figure I would give up but I wanted to write it.

What Did I Read: Rick Riordan's The Lost Hero, Book 1 of the Heroes of Olympians.

Why Did I Pick This Up: RICK RIORDAN! I loved the Percy Jackson series and I was really excited to know that we would be returning to Camp Half Blood for this new series. Also, t he kids are super excited about this book. One student and I already have a favorite character - Leo Valdez!!! Go Leo! Go Hephaestus!!!

Why I Finished It: I couldn't put it down. I had to, of course, because I do need sleep but wow! what a fun exciting read. I loved the diversity of the characters, Piper is Native American and Leo is Latino. This gave Riordan the opportunity to mention myths from other cultures that are similar to the Greek and Roman mythologies that he is introducing to kids. I think, in a way, this might catch a kid's attention and spark their curiosity to learn more. It is funny, exciting, suspenseful and full of action and of course, we are introduced to a host of new gods, monsters and heroes. More evil, more good.

Who Would I Recommend This To: The growing Camp Half Blood campers and anyone who loves mythology or fantasy. Anyone who loves a good adventure and hero quest story.

Go Coach Hedge!!!!

No comments: