Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reverb10 #7: Community

Today's #reverb10 prompt deals with "community."

"While the spirit of neighborliness was important on the frontier because neighbors were so few, it is even more important now because our neighbors are so many."
~Lady Bird Johnson
I have been reading a lot of posts about community lately. Finding it. Discovering it. Sometimes losing it. I am sort of at a point where I need a change and I have been thinking about the community I have here in Los Angeles. Do I want to move and lose some of that? Because when you move, you do lose something. However, now with everyone being online, do you ever really lose it?

However, reflecting on this year, my community grew because I joined my hula halau. This was really evidenced by the fact that our Thanksgiving friends dinner was huge! It had brought new people into my life who are inspiring and wonderful.

Online, I think, my community are those people I follow on Vox (so sad), Twitter, Friendfeed. These are the spaces where I have met people face-to-face. Or have sent postcards to. Amazing people who share interesting things.

Hopefully, next year, my community will continue to grow. It might be in L.A. in might be somewhere else...but either way, I'll keep myself open to it.

No comments: