Friday, January 7, 2011

Book Drops: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by Green and Levithan


Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Originally uploaded by Miss Martini (AnnaLynn M.)

This is the first book I read for the new year! Let the new list begin!

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (Paper Towns and The Abundance of Katherines) and David Levithan.
New York: Dutton Books, 2010
ISBN: 978-0-525-42158-0

Why I Picked It Up:
I like John Green's writing. Also, I love the cover. It actually looks like the wall paper on my Droid. After reading the jacket, I wanted to read more. What would you do if you met someone with your same name? And actually ended up being connected in some way...

Why I Didn't Put It Down:
At the church I went to growing up, there was a man named Vicente Martino who was always mentioned in the church bulletin. The first time I saw his name in the bulletin I would think "why are they mentioning my dad in the bulletin?" My dad is named Vicente Martino too!!! I remember, being a kid and wanting to go up to the Italian Vicente Martino to go "Hey. My dad's named Vicente Martino too!" But, being the shy kid I was, I never did it. Plus, he sat at the very front and we always sat in the middle and my dad didn't go to church. This is what I thought about as I started reading this book. Will Grayson and Will Grayson are two completely different people. One is personable, talkative and straight. The other is angry, introverted and gay. One day, they meet in an unexpected place and things come crashing down in both of their lives. I could not put this book down. I love all the characters even the unappealing ones. It is such a compelling story about relationships, love, hate, secrets, lies and life that you just do not want to put it down. I laughed out loud at quite a few parts and some passages just stuck with me.

Who Would I Recommend This To:
Everyone. This is truly one of the books on my short list of books that I LOVE! It is up there with my love of 13 Blue Envelopes and Going Bovine. It's kind of like Glee in print format. Just a feel good story that anyone can relate to.

No comments: