Sunday, January 11, 2009

Book Review: "The Lost Art of Walking" by Geoff Nicholson (rated 5 stars)

by Geoff Nicholson

I am a walker. When I saw the title of this book, I knew I had to read it. When you think about walking, do you ever think that it’s a dangerous thing? Probably not but then Geoff Nicholson starts off with a story about how he fell while walking and broke his arm. He was walking down the street, not speed walking or anything like that, just walking and he fell and then it happened, snap! a broken arm.
Nicholson takes use on a “walk” through the history and culture of pedestrianism. He writes about walking in Los Angeles, New York and London. He also has chapters on walking with soundtracks, walking in nature and even has sections devoted to specific walkers. I never knew that pedestrianism was actually a sport!
It is a very informative, fun and humourous look at walking. Highly recommended (I should come up with my own rating system…)

No comments: