Sunday, January 4, 2009

Children's Book Review: "Inkheart" by Cornelia Funke (rated 5 stars)

by Cornelia Funke

This is the first book I finished for 2009 and I am glad for it! This is an amazing book filled with action, fantasy, adventure, thrills and humor. It is a very fun read and would be fun for adults as well as children.

We are introduced to Meggie and her father, Mo, a bookbinder, who on a dark night have an unexpected and unwelcomed visitor by the name of Dustfinger. If Dustfinger is visiting, it cannot be for a good reason. His face is scarred and he carries an awful smelling marten in his backpack. He is also a pyromaniac. Why does Dustfinger show up all of sudden? what does he want? And can he be trusted?

In the wee hours of the morning, Mo rises Meggie and they quickly pack up to leave their home. We learn later that they are always on the move. Who are they running away from?

The book is filled with many more characters, some new and some familiar. Who knew there was such power in reading out loud?

I actually picked this up because I saw the movie was coming out. I am little hesitant about the choice of Brendan Fraser as "Mo." Mo is a bookbinder and has the power to send a person into a story when he reads out loud. I do not see Brendan Fraser as having this power. I am used to him in the "Mummy" or better yet, "Encino Man"! I really do not see myself being taken away by listening to him read. I don't know. I do love the rest of the cast and I think they were well cast. Helen Mirren as "Elinor" will be great though she is supposed to be older, a bit of a hermit and not so fit. I love that Paul Bettany plays "Dustfinger" and Andy Serkis as "Capricorn." (I do love Andy Serkis) I cannot wait to see him play someone so diabolical.

I would definitely read the book. My favorite part about it is that there are quotes before each chapter from some of my favorite childrens' books, like 'Princess Bride" and "Wind in the Willows" and so many others that I have not read in a long long time.

No comments: