Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Assessment Class: Let's Go To The Movies


My favorite movie is Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back.
The second of the Star Wars franchise was released in 1980. However, in the series, it becomes Episode 5 after the release of Episodes 1 through 3, in 1999 - 2005. In this film, Luke Skywalker is training to be a jedi under the tutelege of Master Yoda. While Luke is in training, Darth Vader is pursuing his friends, Han Solo, Leia, and other rebel forces. It is a cat and mouse game between the Imperial forces and the rebels. There is the fight between good and evil. It is part of an epic saga that has a lot of themes but one of my favorites is the coming-of-age aspect and the ability to choose your own path.
I remember going to see this movie at the movie theatre located next to the base housing we lived in. My dad decided to take my siblings and I to see a matinee for my birthday. It was a rare treat for us to go to a movie theater, we usually would go to the drive-ins, so this was a big deal. It was a sunny day and we were going to a matinee showing. You could really feel the excitement in the air with all the kids and their parents waiting in line. We had to sit pretty close to the front of the screen so during the epic space dogfight at the end, I got pretty dizzy. The movie ended and we were all filing out. I remember grabbing my dad's hand as we walked up the aisles to exit the building. As we walked into the sunlit lobby, my six year old self looked up. To my horror, I was holding some other dad's hand!!!!! I dropped his hand, still dizzy and now horrified and turned around. There were my siblings and my dad looking at me amused

No comments: